New release candidate: Tor 0.4.5.4-rc
January 22, 2021
There’s a new release candidate available for download. If you build Tor from source, you can download the source code for 0.4.5.4-rc from the download page on the website. Packages should be available over the coming weeks, with a new alpha Tor Browser release likely around this coming Tuesday.
Tor 0.4.5.4-rc is the second release candidate in its series. It fixes several bugs present in previous releases.
We expect that the stable release will be the same, or almost the same, as this release candidate, unless serious bugs are found.
Changes in version 0.4.5.4-rc – 2021-01-22
- Major bugfixes (authority, IPv6):
- Do not consider multiple relays in the same IPv6 /64 network to be sybils. Fixes bug 40243; bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.
- Major bugfixes (directory cache, performance, windows):
- Limit the number of items in the consensus diff cache to 64 on Windows. We hope this will mitigate an issue where Windows relay operators reported Tor using 100% CPU, while we investigate better solutions. Fixes bug 24857; bugfix on 0.3.1.1-alpha.
- Minor feature (build system):
- New “make lsp” command to generate the compile_commands.json file used by the ccls language server. The “bear” program is needed for this. Closes ticket 40227.
- Minor features (authority, logging):
- Minor bugfixes (compilation):
- Fix another warning about unreachable fallthrough annotations when building with “–enable-all-bugs-are-fatal” on some compilers. Fixes bug 40241; bugfix on 0.4.5.3-rc.
- Change the linker flag ordering in our library search code so that it works for compilers that need the libraries to be listed in the right order. Fixes bug 33624; bugfix on 0.1.1.0-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (config, bridge):
- Don’t initiate a connection to a bridge configured to use a missing transport. This change reverts an earlier fix that would try to avoid such situations during configuration chcecking, but which doesn’t work with DisableNetwork. Fixes bug 40106; bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (onion services):
- Avoid a non-fatal assertion in certain edge-cases when establishing a circuit to an onion service. Fixes bug 32666; bugfix on 0.3.0.3-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (relay):
- If we were unable to build our descriptor, don’t mark it as having been advertised. Also remove an harmless BUG(). Fixes bug 40231; bugfix on 0.4.5.1-alpha.