New Releases: Tor 0.3.5.12, 0.4.3.7, and 0.4.4.6
November 12, 2020
We have a new stable release today. If you build Tor from source, you can download the source code for 0.4.4.6 on the download page. Packages should be available within the next several weeks, with a new Tor Browser likely next week.
Tor 0.4.4.6 is the second stable release in the 0.4.4.x series. It backports fixes from later releases, including a fix for TROVE-2020- 005, a security issue that could be used, under certain cases, by an adversary to observe traffic patterns on a limited number of circuits intended for a different relay.
Changes in version 0.4.4.6 – 2020-11-12
- Major bugfixes (security, backport from 0.4.5.1-alpha):
- When completing a channel, relays now check more thoroughly to make sure that it matches any pending circuits before attaching those circuits. Previously, address correctness and Ed25519 identities were not checked in this case, but only when extending circuits on an existing channel. Fixes bug 40080; bugfix on 0.2.7.2-alpha. Resolves TROVE-2020-005.
- Minor features (directory authorities, backport from 0.4.5.1-alpha):
- Authorities now list a different set of protocols as required and recommended. These lists have been chosen so that only truly recommended and/or required protocols are included, and so that clients using 0.2.9 or later will continue to work (even though they are not supported), whereas only relays running 0.3.5 or later will meet the requirements. Closes ticket 40162.
- Make it possible to specify multiple ConsensusParams torrc lines. Now directory authority operators can for example put the main ConsensusParams config in one torrc file and then add to it from a different torrc file. Closes ticket 40164.
- Minor features (subprotocol versions, backport from 0.4.5.1-alpha):
- Tor no longer allows subprotocol versions larger than 63. Previously version numbers up to UINT32_MAX were allowed, which significantly complicated our code. Implements proposal 318; closes ticket 40133.
- Minor features (tests, v2 onion services, backport from 0.4.5.1-alpha):
- Minor bugfixes (compilation, backport from 0.4.5.1-alpha):
- Minor bugfixes (logging, backport from 0.4.5.1-alpha):
- Remove a debug logging statement that uselessly spammed the logs. Fixes bug 40135; bugfix on 0.3.5.0-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (relay configuration, crash, backport from 0.4.5.1-alpha):
- Avoid a fatal assert() when failing to create a listener connection for an address that was in use. Fixes bug 40073; bugfix on 0.3.5.1-alpha.
- Minor bugfixes (v2 onion services, backport from 0.4.5.1-alpha):
- For HSFETCH commands on v2 onion services addresses, check the length of bytes decoded, not the base32 length. Fixes bug 34400; bugfix on 0.4.1.1-alpha. Patch by Neel Chauhan.